Moving can be a very stressful experience. Packing and carrying all your stuff from your old house to your new home can take a lot of time and money. That’s why a garage sale can be a very good option when you have to move. A successful garage sale will not only help you get some money you could use on your new place, but it will also help you get rid of lots of things you don’t need, and make an inventory of all the other things you want to take with you.
Whether it’s in your actual garage or in your yard, selling some of your useless things will make your moving process a lot easier. So, here are some tips that will help you organize a successful garage sale.
- Make an inventory of all the things you have, throw away those that are broken, and separate those that you want to sell. During this process, we recommend you to classify all your stuff for a more organized sale. For example, have boxes labeled as: toys, clothes, kitchen, decors, etc.
- Plan your garage sale ahead. Remember to ask authorities for the needed permits and set a date. Try to plan it on a weekend, so people have time to come by.
- Have all your stuff priced and labeled for your clients to feel more comfortable when attending the garage sale. It can be very annoying to ask for the price of every item. If you don’t know how to price your things, we recommend you to visit websites that sell used items for guidance.
- Ask for help! A garage sale means a lot of work. If you have young kids, you can ask them for some help, they’ll probably want to be involved anyways. You can also ask your neighbors or friends to help you move the heavier furniture and expose them to the public.
- Spread the word! The only way to sell everything is by having a lot of people coming to your garage sale. It’s very unrealistic for one single person to buy everything. So, what you need to do is to advertise your garage sale. You can do it by posting on social media or placing ads near your home. Don’t forget to specify date, time, and place.